We now have food grade Diatomaceous Earth (DE) available in 200g bags. DE is a healthy way to control external and internal parasites in your dog.
It’s a non-toxic, safe substance made up from crushed fossils of freshwater organisms and marine life. Crushed to a fine powder and observed through a microscope, the particles resemble bits of broken glass.
DE is deadly to any insect yet completely harmless to animals. DE’s mode of action for insect and parasite control is strictly mechanical. The microscopically sharp edges contact the insect or parasite, and pierce their protective coating, so they soon dehydrate and die. The larvae is affected in the same way.
Internal parasites can be controlled by giving DE internally. It is very important to note that it must be food grade – the earth used in gardens and pool filters can damage your dog.
DE can eliminate roundworms, whip worms, pin worms, and hookworms within seven days of being fed daily.
To be most effective, DE should be fed for at least 30 days, to catch all newly hatching eggs or the cycling of the worms through the lungs and back to the stomach.
Another use for Diatomaceous Earth is the control of external parasites and flies. This is achieved by dusting your dog with DE, along with their bedding area and surrounding carpeted areas.